Friday, April 3, 2015

Compassion Experience


Have you struggled with explaining to your kids to be thankful for what they have?  I say this to my oldest quite frequently and somehow it doesn't seem to make an impact.  That is why I was so excited to find out about the Compassion Experience.  The Compassion Experience gives you the opportunity to see what it is like in other countries with a walk through area that shows you what life in like for poverty stricken families.  I think this serves as an excellent learning immersive opportunity to teach your child about others.  I know that seeing something is more impactful than mom or dad saying Be thankful for what you have.  I grew up with a very different economic background than my boys are. They are very blessed and don't know any differently.  As a mom I hope to instill compassion for others, awareness for others, and a thankful attitude.

The Experience took about 10 minutes per story and there were 3 separate children's stories to follow.  At the beginning you are given an iPod with headphones and there are prompts throughout each story to guide you.  Each story shows the child's living situation and then when Compassion International steps in and the change it brings in their life.  At the end of each story there is a video that shows the area and the home they started in and it matches completely.  The experience was very authentic and powerful.  It showed a life that most americans would never experience and it was a great way to get some insight on the living conditions in other countries without having to actually be there.  I think it made an impact on my boy, he is only 6 so it is a pretty surface impact but overall it was an eye opening experience.

If this experience comes to your town and you get the opportunity to attend I think it is worth attending.  It is a free event and my boy surprised me with wanting to complete every story.  They say it is appropriate for all ages but my 2 year old was a little young for it.  I gave him my phone in the stroller and he occupied himself with it throughout all 3 stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment