Friday, May 23, 2014

The Overwhelmed Mom

I am not delusional, I know that my two boys are not always the best behaved.  There are moments when I cringe or think who is this child.  Please tell me I am not the only one, but sometimes you just have a stressful overwhelming day-today was one of those days.  It didn't start off well I knew this at 3 am.  My oldest was having trouble staying asleep and even asked to be driven to school right then (too bad that isn't going to last forever, the love of school not the 3 am insistence). Most parents know this isn't going to turn out well.  This day happened to be a scheduled tour of kindergarten after preschool.  I picked him up actually looking forward to the tour (how quickly things changed).  From the moment we arrived I could tell he was ready to go and to top it off my little one started screaming.  As we went through the tour my talkative child was very vocal asking questions and making observations.  Near the end of the tour he very loudly said boring.  Mortified I shushed him meanwhile my 21 month old was still screaming and I was getting the mommy stink eye.  At the end of the tour they asked for questions and my son's hand went up.  The question was "This is really boring can we go play?"  Agh...of all the things he could have said.  Way to make a great first impression on your future principal kid!!!


I know this isn't the only time this will happen or for that matter the worst and it was one of those situations where I could only mildly discipline at the moment.  As we walked back to the car I took a lot of deep breaths and tried to calm my self down.  Once we got in the car I was still angry but thankfully had a little time to cool down.  The wraft of mommy was a lot less than it could have been.  I noticed when I am overwhelmed and stressed I am definitely quicker to anger and really when I thought about it-it was a normal raw 5 year old response.  Kids often either don't know something is inappropriate to say or just say what comes to their mind with no filter.  I have to remember the innocence of my 5 year old and try to take the time before disciplining and remember this.

What has your little one said that made you cringe or when have you felt overwhelmed?  Lets commiserate together.  If you can relate or have a story please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment