Sunday, February 22, 2015

Spanking


My mom, my kids, and I were going out to lunch at Cheddar's a few months ago.  Right as I was getting the kids out of the car to go in I heard a women yell out Get Up!!!  over and over again.  Then I heard, actually heard the child getting hit over and over and over again.  It was so bad that my oldest boy was a little scared.  After awhile I don't think the kid could have gotten up if he wanted to.  I let someone in the restaurant know because I was concerned.  I don't know what the outcome of the situation was but it made me think- at what point in a situation like this should you jump in or get involved.  I understand every parent's right to discipline but at what point is it a concerning issue and when should you keep your nose out of it?

When I was little I remember getting disciplined with a paint stick that said Spare the rod Spoil the child.  Was the punishment a justified one back in the day? Well must parents were doing it back then as well as schools- the principal had the power to spank a child who was a huge problem.  I decided early on that I would never discipline by hitting, my sons get time out when they misbehave or have privileges taken away.  I have found this type of discipline to be very effective.

What is your stance on discipline and what works for you and your children?  Also what would you do in a situation when your witnessed a child being disciplined extremely?

No comments:

Post a Comment