Friday, January 30, 2015

Into the Woods Movie Review

I don't get an opportunity for date nights often but I was so happy to have a date night and do something that is even rarer than a date night-see a movie.  Ever since I saw the preview for Into the Woods I have been anticipating seeing it.  I am a fan of the musical and even own a dvd of the musical with Bernadette Peters and Joanna Gleason among others.  If you aren't familiar with Into the Woods it is a story with many of the fairy tales we know.  Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Baker's Wife, Cinderella, and Rapunzel.  The musical explores these stories traditionally with humor in the 1st act and the 2nd act of the play is really reflecting on turning the stories a bit awry and self awareness within the characters.

Into the Woods the Movie has an excellent cast.  I could see why Emily Blunt has gotten a nomination she was excellent in her role as Baker's Wife.  Meryl Streep did a wonderful job as the witch and all of the supporting characters were great as well.  One of the things that was evident as a fan of the musical was the disappearance of the narrator besides a voice over.  He is a pretty integral part of the play and his absence was definitely felt.  Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf in the play have sort of a more sexually undertoned interaction in the stage version.  That was left out of the movie as well.  Also, I feel bringing it to the screen it lost a lot of it's funnier moments.  Although Agony was very funny in the movie and is in the play.  As far as children seeing the movie, there is some scary moments with the witch, loud and unexpected appearances and disappearances.  Overall, I think it is a good movie for 8 years old and up.



My overall review of the movie is 4 out 5 loaves of bread in honor of my favorite character the baker's wife.

***This review is solely my opinion and I received no compensation or sponsorship for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment